[SIPForum-discussion] Regarding 180 ringing

Moshe Ostrovsky mosheo at radvision.com
Wed May 6 08:42:04 UTC 2009

Hi.

To prevent client transaction from hanging forever in proceeding state,
user can start an application level timer, which is indicated using
Expires header in initial INVITE.

RFC 3261 says:

13.2.1 Creating the Initial INVITE

   The UAC MAY add an Expires header field (Section 20.19) to limit the

   validity of the invitation.  If the time indicated in the Expires

   header field is reached and no final answer for the INVITE has been

   received, the UAC core SHOULD generate a CANCEL request for the

   INVITE, as per Section 9.

13.3.1 Processing of the INVITE

    If the request is an INVITE that contains an Expires header

    field, the UAS core sets a timer for the number of seconds

    indicated in the header field value.  When the timer fires, the

    invitation is considered to be expired.  If the invitation

    expires before the UAS has generated a final response, a 487

    (Request Terminated) response SHOULD be generated.

Hope it answers your question.

Best regards,

Moshe Ostrovsky

SIP-IMS