[SIPForum-discussion] The process sequence

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Fri Jun 19 16:19:35 UTC 2009

I don't think you can infer that a 183 means the called party is not
aware. It may mean the called party MAY NOT be aware, but it may also
be used when the called party's phone is ringing.

If you said, "When caller receives 183 session progress, it means
callee is not NECESSARILY aware about incoming call," then I'd agree.

In the case of calls terminated through SS7 PSTN gateways, the 183
response usually means in-band audio is available.  When the called
party's phone is alerting, the ringback is streamed through RTP toward
the calling party. By convention (but not by RFC) a 183 is sent when
the terminating (called) device begins to stream RTP with the ringback
audio. By RFC, the terminating (called) may send RTP to the calling
party who has provided an SDP offer.