[SIPForum-discussion] what is the diffrence b/w a transaction, session , dialog

malaya.kishore at wipro.com malaya.kishore at wipro.com
Mon Jun 8 04:14:39 UTC 2009

Hi Vikas,

In a normal call flow

UAC                                  UAS
INVITE-------------------------->
Trying<--------------------------
180<---------------------------
200ok<-------------------------
ACK---------------------------->
BYE<----------------------------
200OK------------------------->
Dialog:
When UAC sends INVITE to UAS, it contains From-tag and Call-ID in the
Message.

In response UAC receives 200 OK, and in 200 OK, To-tag will be present.

* In SIP the From-tag, To-tag, Call-ID makes a Dialog.

So when there is a successful INVITE and its response, then a Dialog is
established.

* A Dialog is a sequence of Transactions.
Transaction
Every Request and its corresponding Responses makes a Transaction
Eg:
Transaction x: REGISTER and 200 OK
Transaction y: Bye and 200 OK

In case of INVITE, Transaction is as follows:
If UAC receives a successful response that is 200 OK for the INVITE it
sends then the transaction includes ACK.

That is
Transaction is: INVITE---- 1xx responses -- 200 OK --- ACK

In case UAC receives a non Success response (anything other than 2xx)
transaction doesnot include ACK.

That is
Transaction is: INVITE --- a non 200 response
And ACK will be another transaction.

* In SIP Transaction is identified by the "CSeq number" in a Dialog

Session
With every INVITE -- 200 OK -- ACK, a session is established, that is
the two clients have a session to exchange media. That's a session.

Hope it's clear.

Kind Regards,
Kishore