[SIPForum-discussion] what is the diffrence b/w a transaction, session , dialog

nitin kapoor nitinkapoorr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:06:06 UTC 2009

Hello Vikas,

Below is the bit explanation of dialog, transaction & session.

Dailog:

*Dialog* is a peer-to-peer relationship between two user agents. It
represents a context that facilitates the sequencing of messages between the
user agents and proper routing of requests between both of them.

Transaction:

Transaction is a request sent by a client transaction (using the transport
layer) to a server transaction, along with all responses to that request
sent from the server transaction back to the client. Any task that a user
agent client (UAC) accomplishes takes place using a series of transactions.

Session:

A *session* refers to all the connections that a single client might make to
a server in the course of viewing any pages associated with a given
application. Sessions are specific to both the individual user and the
application. As a result, every user of an application has a separate
session and has access to a separate set of session variables.

Thanks,

Nitin Kapoor