[SIPForum-discussion] SDP Message in SIP problem. Please Help.

Medve, Steve smedve at redcom.com
Tue Jul 28 16:39:11 UTC 2009

"SIP" uses ports 5060 and higher while RTP has no Fixed range of ports
to use.  This may cause a conflict but haven't been privy to see that
yet.  I know the port for RTP should be even numbered and the
corresponding RTCP should be odd numbered ports.

Pulled from some notes I had:

To setup an RTP session, an application defines a pair of destination
ports (an IP address with a pair of ports for RTP and RTCP). In a
multimedia session, each media stream is carried in a separate RTP
session, with its own RTCP packets reporting the reception quality for
that session. For example, audio and video would travel in separate RTP
session, enabling a receiver to select whether or not to receive a
particular stream.[10] An RTP port should be even and the RTCP port
should be the next higher port number if possible. Deviations from this
rule can be signaled via RTP session descriptions in other protocols
(SDP). RTP and RTCP typically use unprivileged UDP ports (1024 to
65535),[11] but may use other transport protocols (most notably, SCTP
and DCCP) as well, as the protocol design is transport independent.

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) systems most often use the Session
Description Protocol (SDP)[12] to define RTP sessions and negotiate the
parameters involved with other peers. The Real Time Streaming Protocol
(RTSP) may be also be used to setup and control media session on remote
media servers.

Hope it helps.

Steven A. Medve
REDCOM Laboratories, Inc.