[SIPForum-discussion] What's the info contained in the SDP?

Mike Jiang mike.jiang at andersontaylor.com
Fri Jul 17 14:11:44 UTC 2009

Thanks for all the answers. It makes sense from all the explanations.
For special case I ran into, the service provider we used always sent their
RTP server's listening IP/Port as well as the audio codecs in the SDP as the
body of the SIP msgs (either in the 183, the 180 (both optional), or the
200(a must)). We wanted them to send the SDP info as soon as possible, for
example, having the SDP in the 183 msg, so we have enough time to initialize
and make the voice engine ready for voice communication.

The only issue confusing me is that the service provider remained saying
that the IP/port in the SDP would be sent only after receiving the feedback
from the callee's data carrier. I guessed it was a pure business
consideration rather than a tech issue, then.

Thanks,

Mike J.