[SIPForum-discussion] Can we specify (m = audio 0 ..) audio port as zero for hold scenario.

Arunachala arun1977 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 05:16:26 UTC 2009

Hi,
   AFAIK, hold can be initiated by just having the IP in c-line of SDP to
0.0.0.0. RFC3264 does NOT recommend this way of putting a stream on hold.
But, many SIP entities do follow it (as recommended by the obsolete
RFC2543). So, we DO NOT need the port to be set to zero to initiate a hold
event.

   According to RFC3264, an existing media stream can be removed by setting
the port of that stream to zero. So, here who ever is sending re-INVITE with
port value 0 in the m-line is saying,  that media is no longer sent for that
stream, and any media that is received is discarded.

Regards,
Arunachal