[SIPForum-discussion] Help: IP Address authentication

Gauravkumar Raval gaurav.raval at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:26:37 UTC 2009

Hi Olabode,

Its difficult to understand and answer with limited information. Can
you explain more about how you have planed to authenticate IP address?

This is what I feel,
IP address is comparatively easier to spoof. MAC address can too, with
somewhat more effort.
SIP works at top layer of network model, and that makes a security
mechanism difficult to configure and operate at high performance.
SIP has different security mechanisms for various stage of signalling.
And yes, if you have transparent and/or efficient (in terms of
resource consumption and SIP standard) IP address authentication
mechanism, its really helpful.

Regards,
Gaurav Raval
http://gaurav.raval.googlepages.com

On 2/28/09, Olabode Adeniran <olabode.adeniran at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please, could anyone tell me if it would be wise to implement IP address
> authentication during a SIP call initiation, if it were possible to do.
>

> Thank you,
>

> Olabode O. Adeniran
>
> 3109789225

Gaurav Raval