[SIPForum-discussion] "sip" versus "sips"

Arijeet Pal arijeetpal at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 05:43:09 UTC 2009

Hi Jerry,

This scheme is to be used when the local end or the remote end wants the communication to be secure (sips ~> sip secure ). As far as I know, TLS is to be used. "sips" is a URI scheme and thus may be used in headers containing sip uris (e.g, To, From, Route, Record-Route, Contact, etc and of course the Request URI).

RFC 3261 has the details. Some sections of interest could be 8.1.2, 8.1.3.4, 26.2.2, 26.4.4. Additionally RFC 3263 could also be handy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Arijeet