[SIPForum-discussion] Major issues with TLS-ports

Tomasz Zieleniewski tzieleniewski at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:19:49 UTC 2009

Hi Franz,

Generally usage of a different port in Via Header is not wrong.
There is of course an explanation to this.
Investigation of the Via header in case of a TLS, which is a reliable
transport is used only
when there is a failure during response processing.
In normal circumstances the response is sent over the connection the
request arrived on. When sending response fails the server
examines the value of the sent-by in the topmost Via header.
In Your case Via header looks something like this, isn't it??
Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 10.0.0.1:1766;branch=z9hG4bK...
This tells uas that in case of the connection failure it should
retry sending the response over TLS to the 10.0.0.1:1766 address.
What You need to check is that transport is TLS not some other!!!

It is important that when SIPS URI is used as the Request-URI of a
request, each hop over which the request is forwarded, until the request
reaches the SIP proxy entity responsible for the target domain is
secured with TLS.
When it reaches the domain request is handled according to the local policy.
The fact that Your client communicate (register) over TLS is caused
by the fact that registrar URI (REGISTER request URI) is SIPS URI.
This is something separate from registering a SIPS aor.
Do Your clients put a SIPS URI in the Contact header??
Perhaps it is not SIPS but just SIP URI?
If they do then should be listening for incoming connections.

For sure, some trace files would be nice, just to be sure:)

Kind Regards
- Tomasz Zieleniewski