[SIPForum-discussion] Calling Party Name

Garron, James jgarron at sonusnet.com
Thu Apr 16 11:12:12 UTC 2009

Yudia,

>From RFC324 section 8.4:

RFC 2543 [10] specified that placing a user on hold was accomplished by
setting the connection address to 0.0.0.0. Its usage for putting a call
on hold is no longer recommended, since it doesn't allow for RTCP to be
used with held streams, doesn't work with IPv6, and breaks with
connection oriented media. However, it can be useful in an initial offer
when the offerer knows it wants to use a particular set of media streams
and formats, but doesn't know the addresses and ports at the time of the
offer. Of course, when used, the port number MUST NOT be zero, which
would specify that the stream has been disabled. An agent MUST be
capable of receiving SDP with a connection address of 0.0.0.0, in which
case it means that neither RTP nor RTCP should be sent to the peer.