[SIPForum-discussion] 183 Session Progress without SDP

Manish Aggarwal maaggarwal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 22:55:13 UTC 2009

Nitin,

I feel this behavior is correct, as per RFC 3261.

Just for curiosity, I checked yr wireshark logs.....the Tag in "To" header
is same for both the 183 repsonses...
so its for the same dialog.....

In rfc 3261, in section 13.2.1, it says that --

"The UAC MUST treat the first session description it receives as the answer,
and MUST ignore any
session descriptions in subsequent responses to the initial INVITE."

So, in your case,  --

(1) First 183 just indicates that UAS is still processing the INVITE. And
UAC doesnt need to re-transmit
(2) second 183, "with SDP", is equivalent to an answer. The UAC can assume
this SDP to be final.
(3) If any further 183 messages are received, "with or without" sdp, they
should be ignored (as mentioned in the above rfc extact).

I dont have any docs.....just based on my understanding......
Hope it helps

Thanks
-Manish