[SIPForum-discussion] Diversion Header (INVITE Without SDP)

Hadriel Kaplan HKaplan at acmepacket.com
Mon Nov 24 21:04:49 UTC 2008

Diversion was only defined in a draft and never got to RFC, with History-Info in its place for an RFC.  However, since Diversion is arguably more popular than History-Info...
I've seen your scenario happen due to ISUP-to-SIP interworking, where the ISUP IAM had both Redirecting Number and Original Called Number parameters that were actually the same number.  In that case, due to the rules in the diversion draft, some devices will create two Diversion headers, each with the same number, because they were just copying the numbers from ISUP parameters per the draft.
The counter parameter tracks the number of redirections for a diversion entry.  Normally it would be 1 each; but in an ISUP-SIP interworking scenario, since ISUP does not track all redirections but only the most recent one, you can't generate meaningful Diversion information for each redirection (the data doesn't exist).  But since ISUP does track the count of redirections, that count is used by Diversion, so you can tell how many redirections occurred.  The counter parameter for the bottom one should have been 1, not 3; but the top one could be 3 if the ISUP Redirect Counter was 4.  It's not technically malformed for the bottom to be 3, however, and could happen due to privacy issues where the redirecting proxy didn't want to identify some individual redirecting parties.  But it probably was an error.

-hadriel