[SIPForum-discussion] Python library for using SIP?

Dan York dyork at voxeo.com
Tue May 13 13:09:49 UTC 2008

Victor,

On May 13, 2008, at 4:10 AM, Victor Pascual Ávila wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Dan York <dyork at voxeo.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone worked with a python library for SIP?
>
> I'm not sure it is what you need. But take a look to SEMS [1].

Thanks for the suggestion. Reading the README file, I'm not sure it's
what I'm looking for either, but I'll take a look through and see if
there might be some libraries I can use.  I'll admit that I wasn't
aware of SEMS before, but it looks like quite an interesting project.

As far as a python library, all I was looking for was a library that
would allow me to easily create SIP messages from a python app.  I'm
doing some experiments with Google's AppEngine which is currently
python-based and I was interested to see about building a SIP testing
app which sent SIP messages over to a CCXML app that I have running
elsewhere.  The app would really be a web page (running on Google's
AppEngine) which would then send SIP messages to a specified IP address.

There are existing tools out there like sipp and sipsak that already
do much of what I need, but are also more complex that I need. So I
thought I'd just create a simple test app, really more as a way to: a)
learn more about App Engine; b) refresh my python programming skills
that have grown rusty; and c) have a simple way to test other apps I
am developing in CCXML that interact with SIP headers (i.e. I could
use this SIP test app to send in custom headers that would be read by
the CCXML program).  However, in searching around I couldn't seem to
find any python libraries that would just let me send various kinds of
SIP messages.   Sure, I could write the libraries myself or just
kludge a way to send the SIP messages I want (the beauty of a text-
based protocol) but I was just curious to see what's out there.

In the meantime, I figured out a completely different way to do what I
wanted to do by creating a separate CCXML application that sends the
custom SIP headers to the other CCXML application that reads the
custom SIP headers.  Good news is I've learned a lot more about
CCXML... however I didn't (yet) get to play with python or AppEngine.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork at voxeo.com
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free