[SIPForum-discussion] What is the function of telephone-event?

Wong Quan Fai Eugene NCS eugenewong at ncs.com.sg
Tue Mar 18 02:50:57 UTC 2008

HI Andrea,

The following extracted is from RFC2833. Hope it helps to answer your question,

RTP packets using the payload format defined in this specification

   are subject to the security considerations discussed in the RTP

   specification (RFC 1889 [1]), and any appropriate RTP profile (for

   example RFC 1890 [19]).This implies that confidentiality of the media

   streams is achieved by encryption. Because the data compression used

   with this payload format is applied end-to-end, encryption may be

   performed after compression so there is no conflict between the two

   operations.

   This payload type does not exhibit any significant non-uniformity in

   the receiver side computational complexity for packet processing to

   cause a potential denial-of-service threat.

   In older networks employing in-band signaling and lacking appropriate

   tone filters, the tones in Section 3.14 may be used to commit toll

   fraud.

Best Regards,

Eugene