[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Testing (INVITE without SDP)

Ravi Siebel ravi_siebel at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 06:41:09 UTC 2008

Hi Shakil,

  Could, please let me know the type of proxy available on the access side ?
  (Recursive or Non-Recursive)

  Regards,
  Ravi

"Shakil, Rashid" <rshakil at covad.com> wrote:
                Hello All,

  I am having call failure issues when my softswitch sending a SIP INVITE without SDP for a redirect call (Inbound call from SIP redirected back to an offnet number). The call scenario is as follows

   An Inbound call (PSTN to IP) comes in from SIP carrier. The user on SIP side (our customer) enable the Find me feature to redirect the inbound to an offnet number
   An outbound call goes out from my softswitch to the SIP carrier. The INVITE for that outbound call has diversion header but no SDP
   In response to the outbound INVITE (without SDP) the upstream Gateway sent me 480 Temporary Unavailable with this explanation “After receiving the PSTN call, the gateway sends out the first INVITE. It receives back the forwarded INVITE (with diversion header), but the INVITE does not have any media specified. So the gateway then sends out a new INVITE to the destination number, but sets media a=sendonly. The call is being rejected because on the egress side, the INVITE goes out with a=sendonly (because there was no SDP on the Ingress INVITE), but the 200 OK comes back with no "a" setting, which means a=sendrecv".

  I believe we can redirect a call with diversion header and without SDP. Is this explanation from my upstream provider is correct do I have to send an SDP for the redirected call
 Please reply me so that I can move forward with this issue.

  Regards,

  Rashid Shakil.