[SIPForum-discussion] What is the function of telephone-event?

Mark Holloway mh at markholloway.com
Thu Mar 6 15:08:07 UTC 2008

G729 does not support inband DTMF because the codec compresses the audio.
You must use out of band.  Therefore, telephone-event is used to tell the
other endpoint how it should receive DTMF tones.  If you are using G711 you
should be able to support inband.  If you are using a compressed codec you
should consider using out of band.  This can be RFC 2833 or SIP Info Method.
Regardless, not supporting telephone-event reflects a poor SIP
implementation in my opinion.