[SIPForum-discussion] terminal sip to sip terminal without use proxy

Jason Nesheim jnesheim at telepacific.com
Mon Mar 3 05:21:39 UTC 2008

Actually, it is entirely possible to do this with a standard SIP UAC/UAS
setup, although various SIP phone implementations may have vendor specific
limitations in this regard. For an example of a phone that does support URL
dialing, take a look at Polycom SoundPoint SIP phones.

SIP Phones can usually query DNS servers.  This functionality would be a
requirement for any device that would register to a SIP Registrar by FQDN.
Registration is not necessarily a requirement.  It is entirely possible for
two endpoints to have a direct SIP dialog with each other.  Registration is
usually used to inform the SIP Proxy, SBC, or B2BUA of the location of SIP
endpoints, and also in some cases to establish what source IP and port are
allowed to send further SIP messages (such as in the case of a SBC
protecting a SIP registrar).  For an ITSP scenario registration would
usually be a requirement, but in many cases, such as a SIP media gateway to
SIP Proxy/B2BUA setup, no registration would be involved.