[SIPForum-discussion] Request for help and suggesstions

Neill Wilkinsonj neill.wilkinson at quortex.com
Sun Jun 29 18:20:03 UTC 2008

Read:

Asterisk Hacking by Ben Jackson et al (ISBN 978-1-59749-151-8)

Hacking Exposed - VoIP by David Endler & Mark Collier (ISBN
978-0-07-226364-0)

Then get yourself familiar with a number of different vendor phones and
ATAs: Cisco, Sipura, Snom for example.

Also get yourself a copy of Cain&Able, Sippy B2BUA, OpenSER and of course
Asterisk (use the version from the asterisk book above as a starter).

Now get familiar with Firewall and SBC techniques to show how these devices
can prevent some of the common attacks including using IPSec or SSL VPNs to
protect VoIP protocols.

Also look at the SIP stress tests that test a SIP stack for RFC compliance,
this will give you a good clue as to what are the easy ways to break a
non-conformant SIP implementation.

Apart from the cost of the books - all of the above won't cost you a penny -
just time.

Neill...;o)

Neill Wilkinson
Principal Consultant