[SIPForum-discussion] confussion about use of tcp/udp

Manuel Stein manuel.stein at web.DE
Mon Jun 9 21:52:51 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've listened to a few people who prefer UDP over TCP. As a matter of
fact, TCP has all these downsides like slow start, connect, soo
difficult to implement, etc. *g* but hey, TCP stacks are available and
if you find yourself a nice configurable one, you can easily pimp the
network up.
But I'm really interested to know whether talking about TCP overhead and
using an every-script-kiddie-aged-8-can-read-this
why-not-adding-a-few-more-superfluous-headers
oh-let's-make-it-ambiguous-by-allowing-every-information-to-be-attached-everywhere
ASCII-protocol at the same time isn't somehow contradicting in itself ^.^

However, regarding the question, the answer is: yes
The initial request might be below MTU size and is sent over UDP. When
Vias, Record-Routes or P-HEaders, etc. add up, at some point it might
come to TCP. The responses are processed backwards consuming Vias and
the transport is the same for all responses. Note that for subsequent
requests of a dialog, the rule applies independently.

You may try to fragment packets, but this would be more likely a "SIP
profile" *g*, because as Francois correctly assumed and
Rosenberg&Schulzrinne already noticed is that it doesn't work out there,
because people ever since only implemented half the standards and
thought that the last quantile wouldn't add any benefit.

Best regards,
(sorry for the sarcasm - well, I like it)

Manuel