[SIPForum-discussion] What is the port number in "Invite" request-line? Thanks

Liran Tal l.tal at teles.com
Thu Jun 5 23:22:58 UTC 2008

Hey Yuantao,

As you suspected yourself and as Shmulik pointed correctly, the number 555
indicates
the port number of the running SIP Proxy which the UA is registered to.

>  Why we include port number here? The SIP proxy(biloxi.com) application
> layer who receives

Simply because this is a non-standard SIP port, just as if a web server was
running on port
8081 you would have to explicitly tell the browser to use that port, for
example:
http://www.non-standard-server.com:8081

This is also required when more than one SIP Proxy is involved in the
process and the
INVITE travels from one proxy to another.

  The second "Invite" request-line example is from RFC3261 and does not
> include port number. Can I say the port number is useless? So why example
> one includes a useless part in "Invite" request-line URL?

To be more precise the first invite message (INVITE
sip:bob at biloxi.com<sip%3Abob at biloxi.com>SIP/2.0:5555)
is wrong. It should have been INVITE sip:bob at biloxi.com:5555 SIP/2.0

>  Any standard on this port number issue? Thanks.

It is very common for different SIP stacks to behave somewhat differently
and quite
a few of them do not comply with the RFC which is very unfortunate.

*Liran Tal
**Unix Kernel Developer
NGN Solutions, TELES Israel

*