[SIPForum-discussion] sms & other applications

Mario ecembaa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 15:38:04 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

The requirement comes from a customer implementing an NGN. They want
to know if it is possible to inspect SIP traffic either at the SBC or
at the Softswitch, so that it was possible to check if SMSs (or other
similar applications, different from voice) are being encapsulated in
SIP. In this way, It should be possible to stop unwanted traffic in
case the particular carrier tried to use the NGN to transport traffic
belonging to unhallowed (because  particular carrier had not
subscribed such a service- e.g. SMSs over SIP) applications.

To do that, I would like to have a look at some ethereal traces in
order to know which SIP header fields might be inspected. Any further
info such as documents dealing with this topics are also welcome.

Thanks again for you help,
Best Regards,
/Mario