[SIPForum-discussion] What are heart beat messages in VOIP via SIPcalls? What is the standard? Thanks

Donald Lee baolovebao at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:04:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

I think OPTIONS is more heavier to stand for heart beat. The response should
contain its capability and it maybe a big message.

And for the session timer, it's only exist during the session. If there was
no session, there would be no timer.

I have seen a ietf draft which was proposed by Nortel that using a new
method called PING, but I think if we use the current INFO message would be
better.

Just some idea, Please give me your thought.

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Amit Keswani <amit.keswani at genband.com>
wrote:

>  Hi,
>

>     I guess heartbeat messages in generic term are used to check the
> connectivity between
>
> two elements and mostly it is send in OPTIONS. Like to check the
> connectivity of media server from
>
> UAC.
>

> Regards,
>
> *Amit Keswani*