[SIPForum-discussion] What is the use of record-route in 200 OK

Raghul Prasanna raghul82 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 22:59:31 UTC 2008

Hi Vikas,

>From http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-record-route-fix-03.txt

'Record-Route rewriting in responses is not the most optimal way of handling multi-
   homed and transport protocol switching situations.  Additionally, the
   consequence of doing rewriting is that the route set seen by the
   caller is different from the route set seen by the callee, and this
   has at least two negative implications:

   Callee cannot sign the route set, because it gets edited by the
   proxy in the response.  Consequently, end-to-end protection of the
   route set can not be supported by the protocol.  The openness and
   end-to-end principles are broken...'

  From http://www.tech-invite.com/Ti-sip-dialog.html

  I can see that record route is not rewritten by proxy in 200 ok although record route is rewritten by proxy in ACK for 200 ok.

  So as you have stated rewriting of record route by the proxy can be your problem but I am not sure why the call flow shows record route rewriting in ACK.

  Hopefully someone could explain.

Thanks,
Raghul