[SIPForum-discussion] SIPForum-Firewall influence on SIP

Fortunato Lacson junlacson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:46:22 UTC 2008

Great inputs. I know I didn't start this thread, but I hope Sri doesn't
mind. It's just that I have so many questions about firewalls on SIP too.

I really can use some guidance. Now I know I'm quite off with my initial
design. Looks like I'm gonna be needing bigger routers and firewalls.

Back to firewalls, we have been using a SIP Proxy server for our internal
SIP calling. This equipment have a built in Hot Knife/ Firewall where the
RTP would run through and the SIP going in on a different port. From the SIP
Connect Recommendation, it shows that only the RTP does require a firewall.
This is perhaps the SIP itself is TLS encrypted.

In real life application, my company doesn't feel secure connecting directly
to SIP trunk providers with just this built-in firewall thus looking to put
a separate firewall appliance where everything would come in. Are we just
duplicating work here or can this off-load/ distribute firewall capabilities
for a more efficient network components? Below is what my network would look
like:

Gig Internet --> Router --> Firewall --> Switch --> SIP Proxy, Soft IVRs, IP
gateways

Is this more like a real world implementation scheme? Of course, I'm
duplicating each for redundancy like HSRP on Router, Dual Fail/Loadsharing
firewall, and Fail over switching. Do I need to establish encrypted tunnels
to each SIP trunk provider?

Regards to all.

Fortunato