[SIPForum-discussion] What different between SIP and SIP-T protocol?

WIGNELL, CLIFFORD (CLIFFORD) cwignell at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jul 14 01:18:12 UTC 2008

Hello Raghul,

Sorry for the slow response, outlook put this in the junk mail folder
for some reason!

First the Application media type is a catch all; it is used for discrete
data types which do not fit in any of the other categories (i.e. Image,
Audio or Video); the SDP indicates that the content of this block is
Session Description Protocol. This is as you said a normal arrangement
for SIP.

In SIP-T/I we need to carry SDP and ISUP so we put (in the messages with
both)

Multipart entities, this is where one or more different sets of data are
combined in a single body, (i.e. SDP and ISUP). Then the "mixed" subtype
follows, this is intended for use when the body arts are independent
(i.e. SDP and ISUP); then the boundary keyword ("=testing") tells us
where the data blocks split.

Then in the mixed case each block has a line which tells you what it is
base=ansi88; version=ansi); notice that it tells us also the version of
ISUP, in this case ANSI (for North America) and it is the 1988 Version
of the C7/ISUP spec.

SIP (RFC 3261) used RFC2046 for the data blocks.

Best regards

Cliff Wignell