[SIPForum-discussion] What different between SIP and SIP-T protocol?

WIGNELL, CLIFFORD (CLIFFORD) cwignell at alcatel-lucent.com
Sun Jul 6 22:50:27 UTC 2008

Hello all,

There seems to be a lot of interest regarding SIP, SIP-I and SIP-T, so I
have resent one from a few weeks ago. (see below)

Cliff Wignell

From: Ho Lam <lamho at ftth.com.vn>
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] What different between SIP and SIP-T
protocol?
To: discussion at sipforum.org
Date: Saturday, 5 July, 2008, 8:08 AM

What different between SIP and SIP-T protocol?

Ho Lam

Part 1, what are the differences between SIP, SIP-I and SIP-T.

SIP-I and SIP-T are variants or extensions of SIP, which carry PSTN/PLMN
signalling (i.e. ISUP) information in the body of the messages; SIP-I/T
provides for:

*         Interworking of ISUP parameters to SIP headers to enable SIP
based routing/features in the IP Core

*         Encapsulation of ISUP using MIME header to enable transparent
ISUP through an IP core

SIP-T/I specifies interworking between ISUP/BICC and SIP

The interworking specifications include:

*         Architectural context

*         Mappings for specific parameters

*         Mechanism for encapsulating ISUP messages.

SIP-T is specified in three IETF RFC's 3372, RFC 3398, RFC 3578

SIP-I is the ITU specification for SIP interworking with International
ISUP   (Q.761-Q.764) and BICC (Q.1902.1-Q.1902.4) in Q.1912.5 It
specifies actions for three profiles, A, B, and C

North American variations in ANSI T1.PP.679-2004

SIP-I (Q.1912.5) and SIP-T are generally consistent; except for subtle
differences in terms of options, level of detail, and explicit vs.
implicit requirements

SIP-I assumes a suitable "trust domain" exists between gateways

SIP-T assumes it is always necessary to use cryptography verify
identity, establish trust, and to secure communication.

Q.1912.5 has been developed in the ITU-T and therefore has benefited
from extensive input from numerous carriers.

SIP-I is more robust relative to mapping ISUP messages and parameters.

SIP-T has been developed in IETF, and therefore has benefited from a
careful analysis of security considerations and provides more detail in
the context of public IP networks where "trust domains" may not exist.

The following is a SIP-T message, as you can see it is a typical SIP
INVITE with a MIME block added, in this case the ISUP is contained with
in the bock marked -testing and -testing-; the SIP call flow has some
implicates as there are a number of mid call ISUP messages which may be
present, if you look at the RFC's you will see examples of these.

INVITE sip:3228880002 at 10.11.17.3 SIP/2.0

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.11.30.4:5070;branch=z9hG4bK63773d8-15942

Max-Forwards: 70