[SIPForum-discussion] Re-invite issue

Deepesh singh motosingh at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 15:41:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

  Can you please advise?

  Refering to section 10.2
  One of N Codec Selection

  Is reinvite needed in this scenario?

     v=0
   o=alice 2890844526 2890844526 IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
   s=
   c=IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
   t=0 0
   m=audio 62986 RTP/AVP 0 4 18
   a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
   a=rtpmap:4 G723/8000
   a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
   a=sendrecv

   Bob can support  only one codec PCMU and sends  back.

   v=0
   o=bob 2890844730 2890844731 IN IP4 host.example.com
   s=
   c=IN IP4 host.example.com
   t=0 0
   m=audio 54344 RTP/AVP 0 4
   a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
   a=sendrecv

   Of course, if Bob only supports one-of-N codecs, there
   would only be one codec in his answer, and in this case, there is no
   need for a re-INVITE to lock down to a single codec.

But I am seeing RE-INVITE? There is not a need according to RFC but if we do have RE-invite should it matter?

  Best regards,
  Deepesh