[SIPForum-discussion] Registrar forcer re-registration

Mark Holloway mh at markholloway.com
Thu Jan 17 03:43:07 UTC 2008

The SBC in the secondary location should still have a way to reach the
primary feature server on a private network.  If you're losing the
public-facing side of the network on the primary SBC and users re-register
to the SBC in the second location, the SBC in the second location should
still be able to reach the primary feature server and update the SIP
registration information showing it coming from the secondary SBC.  The only
time you'd want the SBC talking to the standby feature server is if the
primary feature server is literally down.

The gateway should have primary/secondary paths for SIP Invites so when the
SIP Invite from the gateway fails to the primary, it goes to the secondary
SBC, which already knows which feature server cluster to send the call to.

Below you show this:

Situation is Gateway -> Feature Server -> Standby SBC

You should be peering your gateways with the SBC and not sending SIP Invites
directly to the feature server from the gateways.

My guess is we're talking about two different types of architectures.  I'm
assuming your gateways are on the public side along with your subscribers.
The inside of your SBC network should use agent groups that always know
which servers are up or down.  Whether it's SIP Registration or Invites
coming from some public IP's, the SBC's would always know which feature
server is up to process the call.  That means regardless of which SBC is
being used on the public side, all the SBC's should attempt to talk to the
same feature servers in the same attempted order.