[SIPForum-discussion] Ringing / Session Progress (180/183)

Ramesh Chauhan chauhan_delhi at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 11:17:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I ave got many replies on this, thanks to all.

SIPMedia Proxy Server is receiving media packets from the callee ater getting 183, but it is not sending these Media packets to the Caller. Due to which the caller is not able to hear the Ring on his Phone..

Some one told me that "MediaProxy will forward the RTP received from the carrier only if the devices sends first packet to the MediaProxy during 183, If the device is not going to send the packet during 183, we wont be able to identify the Source IP and Port of the caller device/Softphone to which we have to send the media."

And in my case, I have captured the ethreal logs and found that the caller device is sending first packet after getting 200-OK.

So, what should we do (in configuration of device), so that it will send first packet after getting 183....

Any reply will be very helpful for me.....

Regards
  Chauhan

dward at ithinktest.com wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                Hi Ramesh – Your personal explanation or physical difference is correct for 180 vs 183.  The “180 Ringing” response is used primarily to indicate that the INVITE has been received by he user agent and that alerting is taken place.  This is especially important when interfacing with PSTN ntwks where the ISUP address Complete Msg (ACM) is mapped.  However no media is passed.  “183 – Session Progress” indicates that information about the progress of the session or call state may be presented in a msg body or media stream. A typical use of this response is to allow the UAC to hear media (i.e. ring tone, busy tone, or a recorded msg via the bearer channel in calls through a gateway into the PSTN.  This is bec call progress info is carried in the media stream in the PSTN as you may know.  A great book that you
 should have in your library is “SIP understanding the Session Information Protocol” 2nd Edition by Alan B. Johnston – ISBN 1-58053-655-7.  Btw, an excellent tool to generate/capture sip responses for pre/post deployment purposes is the iThinkTest Toolsets.  Let me know if you would like to try them out? ~ dw

---------------------------------

From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org [mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] On Behalf Of Ramesh Chauhan
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:04 PM
To: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] Ringing / Session Progress (180/183)

Hi,

Can you please tell me the diference between Ringing(180) and Session progress(183).

As per me, if we recieve Session Progress(183), then our media will start flowing from farend to us and from us to farend. and if we receive Ringing(180) then our device will generate his own ring on the phone.

Eg:

Session Progress(183):

Callee                          SIPProxy                          Caller

----------Invite--------------->

<--------Trying--------------

<--SessioProgress(183)-

<--SessioProgress(183)-

--------Here we will receive RTP from-------------------

Ringing (180):

Session Progress(183):

Callee                          SIPProxy                          Caller

<--ringing(183)------------

<--ringing(183)------------

--------Here our device will generate local ring-----------

Am I correct ???????????/

Regards

Chauhan

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

with regards
Ramesh Chauhan

Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sipforum.org/pipermail/discussion/attachments/20080110/95943944/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the discussion mailing list