[SIPForum-discussion] whats special in 202 Accepted

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Tue Dec 16 18:53:20 UTC 2008

Folks are right here describing the intended difference between 202
and 200.

200, in the abstract, says a mix of things about the transaction and
perhaps some concept like a subscription or call above the transaction
- it says "success"
202, again in the abstract, says the transaction succeeded, some mix
of things above the transaction may have succeeded, but there's still
some piece of work to do before "success" can be declared and that
message will come through some other path.

That said, those abstractions have not been particularly useful in
practice, and if I had a time machine, I would go back and argue 202
out of the specs.

We ended up there while we were developing SIP Events and thought the
client needed to learn from the SUBSCRIBE response whether its
subscription was authenticated. By the time the engineering settled
down and 3265 was produced, all of that data moved to the initial
notify (in the Subscription-State
header field), leaving the 202 with no substantive meaning that was
different than 200.

Effectively, there's no reason for an implementation to treat a
received 200 and 202 as different. They should cause exactly the same
things to happen.
To maximize interop, an implementation should always _send_ exactly
what the specs say to send, but you should accept either response as
meaning
the same thing.

RjS