[SIPForum-discussion] Basic SIP Questions

Fortunato Lacson junlacson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 05:37:30 UTC 2008

Thanks Vivek and all those who replied earlier. In the new network design,
we are going to give-up the ISDN-PRI trunks which comes to us in a DS3. The
nice thing about this is that when a circuit is down, it goes red. When a
DID from the Telco is down (switch issue), you see a circuit without any
call.

Moving to SIP trunks, we will lose the TDM circuits. We will get one or two
GigEthernet Public Internet connection. We will have our own MSX. Our Telco
vendors will route calls to our DIDs via SIP to us. Since all these DIDs
will be coming in to us in one big pipe, it will be harder to monitor which
is working and which doesn't, unless somebody complains. One option, like
suggested, is have an auto-dialer constantly testing the DIDs.

For those who have implemented something like this already. I was wondering
what kind of security is implemented to secure the SIP and RTP packets from
the Telco SIP trunk provider to your edge router.

Have a great night.

Fortunato Lacson