[SIPForum-discussion] LOOP CALL

Mishra2, Abhishek (NSN - IN/Bangalore) abhishek.mishra2 at nsn.com
Wed Aug 20 05:31:05 UTC 2008

Hi Nitin

 The  Requests that arrive at a proxy, is forwarded  and later arrives
back at the same proxy are treated as loop requests provided:
(a) Via header branch parameter value matches to previous requests by
the proxy

SIP provides following mechanism for loop detection and prevention:
MAX-Forwards
========
(i) Counter decremented by 1 on every hop
(II) Discard request when it is zero

VIA
===
(i)  Every proxy inserts an address
(ii) Check for my address (proxy address) when the request comes

Loop requests are errors

Hope that this helps

Bye
Abhishek