[SIPForum-discussion] Problem with NOTIFY recieved afterunregistering

Nittin Dutt Nittin.Dutt at csr.com
Fri Aug 8 15:25:19 UTC 2008

You have to understand the combination of various RFCs to get clear
picture. These are RFC 2778, RC 3856 and RFC 3903.

Presence Server has a Presence Compositor which gets its feed from a PUA
(Presence User Agent) and then a send a composite notification to the
Watchers.

So although only the state of ABC has changed but you anyway get a
composite report about your subscription of that event package, which
include state of XYZ as well.

However with this you would suspect why waste bandwidth and why not
generate only the requisite notification. So, unsurprisingly there is a
notion of 'Partial Notification' as described in
draft-ietf-simple-partial-notify-10 which describes what it just says in
title. But if you are a client side then you would not want to depend on
this but instead cater for both of composite and partial notification.

Hope this helped.

-Nittin Dutt

(nutsnduts)