[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Forum Member News -- August 2008

Marc Robins marc.robins at sipforum.org
Tue Aug 5 16:47:28 UTC 2008

SIP FORUM MEMBER NEWS

Volume 1, Issue 1, August 2008

Welcome

Welcome to the re-launched SIP Forum membernewsletter, an information resource designed to update you on Forum activities,Full Member news, notable industry research, articles and other valuableinformation. Our goal is to publish a new issue of this newsletter roughly on amonthly basis, although this schedule will by necessity be flexible dependingon the quantity and timeliness of news items we have to share with you. Although this is a work in progress, we hopeyou enjoy it, and we look forward to your feedback!

-- Marc Robins, SIP Forum Managing Director and Eric Burger, SIP ForumChairman

New Full Member Welcome

Recent membership growth – both Full and Participant Membership -- hasbeen outstanding, which we believe reflects the maturation of SIP as a criticalenabler for today’s value-added applications and services. Membership growth iscoming from all segments of the IP communications ecosystem, making your SIPForum an industry-wide voice for innovation.

We’d like to warmly welcome our latest Full members and recognize themfor the benefit of all SIP Forum members: AudioCodes Ltd., Bandwidth.com, Cable TelevisionLaboratories, Inc. (CableLabs), CGI Group Inc, Covergence, Cox Communications, DialogicCorporation, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft Corporation, NEC Unified SolutionsInc., NET, Sonus Networks, Tekelec, and Telsis Limited.

Compared to the last quarter of 2007, this surge represents a growthincrease of 100%. With a current tally of 45 Full and over 5,000 Participantmembers, the SIP Forum has never been stronger, and we are poised to makesignificant contributions in 2008 that will be of benefit to all our members aswell as the industry at large. This momentum is continuing, and we look forwardto welcoming new members in upcoming newsletters.

Working Group News

Much of the work produced by the SIP Forum is drivenby our three Working Groups. The most recent news items for each are summarizedbelow.

MarketingWorking Group

· SIP ForumNewsletter - led by Managing Director Marc Robins, the MarketingWorking Group has re-launched the SIP Forum Newsletter, with this issue beingthe inaugural edition

· White Paperupdate – we are in the process of producing a White Paper toarticulate the SIP Forum’s vision for enabling innovation to support all typesof rich, multimedia communications services and applications. We expect to havethe White Paper published by the end of this summer.

· SIPconnectCompliance Workshop – building on the success of our workshop earlierthis year at Internet Telephony Expo, we will be conducting another one at theupcoming TMC event this September 17th, 3pm-6pm, in Room 507.. Clickhere to find out more about Internet Telephony Expo West 2008, which willbe held in at the Los Angeles Convention Center, Los Angeles, CA.

· SIP Solutions Showcase -- The Forum will be hosting a special pavilion at the upcoming Internet Telephony Conference and EXPO Fall 2008 in LA, CA, September 16-18, and this is a very special opportunity for SIP Forum Full Members to highlight theirIP communications solutions and applications directly on the ITEXPO exhibitfloor. The SIP Solutions Showcase will be a must-see destination for the morethan 7,000 attendees expected at ITEXPO.

The SIP Solutions Showcase will focus on innovativeSIP-based IP communications technologies and applications, such as FMC,Presence-based services and applications, Web 2.0 VoIP Mashups, and SIPTrunking. The SIP Solutions Showcase also includes a presentation theater, sothat sponsoring companies can conduct rotating presentations right in theshowcase on the trade show floor!

To help defray the costs of participating in theshowcase, the Forum will provide a $2000 subsidy for up to 9 participating FullMember companies, making this an even more attractive event! The cost toparticipate is an extremely modest $3495. For more information and a prospectuson the event, please contact Marc Robins, SIP Forum Managing Director, at marc.robins at sipforum.org, or call+1-718-548-7245.

TechnicalWorking Group

· Appointment – We recently announcedthe TWG co-chairs who are now leading this Working Group. The co-chairs areScott Hoffpauir, CTO of BroadSoft, and Richard Shockey, Directorof Technical Staff of NeuStar.

· FoIPWorkshop – this is an industry-wide initiative initiated byDialogic and open to all Fax-Over-IP technology companies. Details will beforthcoming on the date and location as well as the specific objectives definedby the Working Group.

· SIPconnect v1.1 – following the ratification of v1.0earlier this year, the Technical Working Group is making good progress on thenext iteration. Clickhere to read up on the latest developments.

· IETF72 SIP Phone Configuration Workshop: The Forumhosted a well-attended breakfast meeting during the recent IETF meeting toexplore the creation of a SIP Phone Configuration task group. The plan is forthe Forum to provide a venue and mechanism to drive the non-technical items tomove vendor and service provider product managers, as well as users, to demandthe implementation and deployment of a phone configuration profile.

 Test Event (SIPit) WorkingGroup

· SIPit 23– The leading SIPInteroperability Testing event is being hosted by ETSI, with France Telecomtechnical support, this coming October 13-17 in Lannion, France.Clickhere for more details and to register.

GeneralIndustry News

New Report – SIP-Enabled IP PBX and Server Markets

Produced by WinterGreen Research, thisextensive report examines SIP’s impact on the server and IP PBX market,including markets shares, forecasts and detailed vendor profiles. You canreview a summary and table of contents here.

 New SIP Online Tutorial

SearchUnifiedCommunications.com is one of theportals in the TechTarget family of IT-related websites. They have recentlypublished an online SIP tutorial, which serves as a handy reference tool forthe basics of SIP and how it is used in the enterprise. You can reviewthe tutorial here.

Top 40 VoIP Products, Applications and Services

Industry portal VoIP-News has published thistop 40 rating list, and is a great summary of the top VoIP offerings forboth residential and small office use.

Enterprise Adoption of Web 2.0 is on the Rise

SIP has an important role to play in the Web2.0 world and thisrecent post in ReadWriteWeb provides some interesting data points andindustry references to support this trend.

Market Forecast and Industry Outlook for SIP Adoption and PBX Deployments

Long-term industry watcher Alan Sulkin haspublished an extensive analysis of the trends around SIP adoption and themarket transition from legacy to IP-based telephony. You can review the entireanalysis on the NoJitter portal.

SIPconnect and the Rationale for WidespreadAdoption of SIP Trunking

SIP Forum Managing Director Marc Robinscontributed this feature story on SIPconnect and the benefits of SIP Trunkingto No Jitter. You can read the full story here.

Full Member News

Acme Packet IntroducesOpen Routing Solution Across Fixed and Mobile Networks

Acme Packet  EstablishesRole of SBCs in Microsoft’s Office Communications Server Architecture

Aspect Software  Receives UnifiedCommunications Magazine's 2007 Product of the Year

Covergence Session Manager Certified byIBM for Integration with Tivoli Netcool and Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring

Data Connection Participation in SIPit22Interoperability Event

Siemens Enterprise Communications Launchof OpenScape Unified Communications Server

Tandberg Ships10,000 Personal Telepresence Units

Tandberg TelepresenceUnifies Large Telco after Three-Way Merger

Tekelec Launch of SIPEducational Webinar Series

SIP Forum News

This section features SIP Forum news and announcementsthat will be of interest to both the SIP Forum membership and the SIP communityat large.

SIP Forum Annual General Meeting Details

Mark Your Calendars! The date and time of the2008 SIP Forum Annual General Meeting has been established for September 18,2008, from 5:30pm-7:00pm at the Internet Telephony Conference & EXPO in Los Angeles, CA.The meeting will be held in room 507 in the Los Angeles ConventionCenter. A detailed AGM meeting notice will besent shortly over the discussion list.

MembershipGrowth Surges, Including Microsoft and CableLabs

Throughout 2008, the SIP Forum has undergone dramatic growth, with themost notable additions being Microsoft and CableLabs. Full membership nowstands at 45, in addition to over 5,000 individual members. With strongrepresentation now from both vendors and service providers, we are wellpositioned now to advance commercial deployments of SIP in both serviceprovider and enterprise networks.

SIPit22 Event ResultsComplete, SIPit23 Coming in October

The most recent SIPit interoperability event was completed at theUniversity of New Hampshire Interoperability Lab in April 2008. We hadparticipants from 46 companies spanning 14 countries, with the focus being onadvanced applications as opposed to basic registration and call setupscenarios.

SIP Forum Video InterviewBroadcast on IP ConvergenceTV.com

SIP Forum Chairman Eric Burger and ExecutiveDirector Marc Robins were recently interviewed for a video segment by JonArnold, Portal Editor of IP Convergence TV. They discussed SIP’s evolution beyond voice applications as well ashelping service providers address interoperability issues for multimediacommunications. You can view the interview by visiting the IP ConvergenceTV.com website andsearching for the clip in the Videos section.

Telephony Online Podcastwith our Executive Director, Marc Robins

Telephony Magazine recently invited the SIPForum’s Executive Director to conduct a podcast with News Editor Sarah Reedy.Sarah and Marc discussed recent developments with SIP as well as the SIPForum’s role as a proactive industry body, especially the SIPconnectinitiative. You can download the podcast for listening by clicking here.

 SIPconnectVersion 1.1 Work Already Underway

A Task Group has been established for Version 1.1 of SIPconnect, and tangibleprogress is well underway. Contributions have already been received fromBroadSoft and Siemens, and two recent members – Microsoft and CableLabs – havecommitted to making their own contributions to this initiative. There is also apublic repository of SIPconnect 1.1 scoping documents, and youcan review those here.

SIPForum Board Appointments and Elections

Several notable additions were recently made at the SIP Forum Boardlevel. At the highest level, Eric Burger, former Deputy CTO of BEA Systems waselected as Chairman of the Board of Directors. Marc Robins, a leading IPcommunications industry consultant and analyst, has been appointed as theForum's new Managing Director. Finally, the Forum announced the election ofMark Enstrom, Product Manager of BroadSoft, Inc. and Richard Shockey, Directorof Technical Staff of NeuStar, Inc. to the SIP Forum Board of Directors.

The SIP Forum has reached an important milestone byformally adopting version 1.0 of the SIPconnect Technical Recommendation. Thistook place in January 2008, with the unanimous approval of the SIP Forum Boardof Directors, and included the formation of the SIPconnect v.1.1 Task Group. To learn more, please clickhere and download the ratifiedSIPconnect Technical Recommendation Version 1.0.

Thought Leadership - Recent WhitePapers and Articles from Full Members

Our Full Member companies regularly produce thought leadership aroundSIP, and this section summarizes their most recent contributions.

 -- Aspect Software White Paper - Goodbyeto CTI, Hello to Unified – examines how contact centers can take advantage of the openness and ubiquity of IPprotocols and standards like SIP to get better results than relying on computertelephony integration (CTI)

 -- Cbeyond article, Chris Gatch -WhyMobile SIP Will Surpass IMS

 -- Cbeyond article, Chris Gatch –SIPTrunking is Poised for Growth in 2008

 -- Covergence White Paper - SIPTrunking and the Role of SBCs

-- Ingate article - “Who Is Listening to my Calls?”- a brief comparison of the potential for security threats between VoIP andtraditional telephony

SIPForum-Sponsored Industry Events Calendar

The SIP Forum is a proud sponsor of the following upcomingindustry events. Some events offer special discounts for SIP Forum members, andare noted in the summary below.

CIPCC2008 and NexCom Expo 2008