[SIPForum-discussion] [Sip] What's the difference between session and dialog in SIP?

孙宗君 szj087 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 01:08:20 UTC 2008

Hi, Lincoln

thanks for your instructions.

I know that dialog can exist without session since SUBSCRIBE/REFER can
create dialog and without any media between communication peers.

What I want to know is the relationship of dialog and session when
they both exist in one communication activity. Take a example, when
there are 2 person participating talks with voice, we say there is a
dialog and a session.

But when one caller invites another callee and gets five 200 final
can say that there are 5 dialogs between caller and the other 5
callees, right? And then what is the exact number of session in this
scenario? One session or five session? That is what I want to know.

Dialog is determined by dialogID (call-id, from/to tag) and session id
is determined by session id given in the SDP message.  My answer is
there are 5 dialog and one session now, right?

Thanks for your further instructions

Zongjun