[SIPForum-discussion] [Sip] What's the difference between session and dialog in SIP?

gaurav katiyar gaurav_katiyar at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 06:23:49 UTC 2008

Hi,
     I am getting confused now. what session exactly is ? Why ACK is an end to end request for 200 OK of INVITE request? does it relate to session any where ??? :-). Is it right to generate ACK locally by any proxy including B2BUA for 200 OK of initial INVITE request?

  Gaurav

Mahesh Anjanappa <mahesha at samsung.com> wrote:
  I'm surprised to see that a fundamental concept "SIP Session" does not have
a clear definition documented anywhere. I was eagerly waiting for a IETF
Guru
to clarify this. I wish somebody writes a draft clarifying all the
undocumented
fundamental concepts in SIP. If i knew it all, i would have done it :-)

My 2 cents on it.
A Session is a Rendezvous Contract between 2 or more UA's for communnicating
with some modality. SIP dialog is a context over which such a Contract is
negotiated
decided, and upheld.
Normally the SDP Session Id should identify the Contract/Session. But not
necessarily
always. If its a multiparty the Conference ID would serve such a purpose.
I can get into a session with a non-INVITE dialog as well. Example:
SUBSCRIBE to
a specialized Event package. In this case some Identifier in the Event
package probably will
serve as the Session Id.
As you can see there can be more than 1 dialog related a Session.
But there is no documentation saying what exactly threads all the dialogs to
a Session except
the mentioning of a ID in the SDP RFC to identify the session being
described in a SDP.

My understanding is that a Session Identifier can take the form of
Conference ID or any
other depending on the method used to setup the rendezvoud/session.

Well, the above is my understanding of it, not based on any existing draft
or RFC, so i welcome
whatever corrections need be.

regards
Mahesh