[SIPForum-discussion] [Sip] What's the difference between session and dialog in SIP?

gaurav katiyar gaurav_katiyar at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 12:14:40 UTC 2008

Sip "Session Initiation Protocol". It talks about media session, i mean how to initiate, modify and terminate a session and Dialog provides a sort of context (like caller, callee, location, routing etc.) to modify this session. So dialog is more related to route the sip message to right node and body (SDP) handles media session if present. Dialogs may have media sessions Or may not.

  Take an example of B2BUA. It is a type of statefull proxy having two dialog and one media session if doing media routing.

Donald Lee <baolovebao at gmail.com> wrote:
  old good questions in sip, also add another "transaction".

  On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:18 AM, å&shy;™å®—君 <szj087 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi, Vijay

Thanks very much for your timely answers.

>From this specification,  session is a combination of signaling plane
and media plane messages and processes that enable two or more
participants to communicate. I think session is a larger scope than
dialog. In another word, one session can contain more than one dialog.
Is what I understand right?

Zongjun

Use sip-implementors at cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
Use sipping at ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip