[SIPForum-discussion] Help me save the turtles

Marc Robins marc.robins at sipforum.org
Thu Apr 24 23:16:36 UTC 2008

Dear SIP Forum Members:

I have been watching this message thread and thought it was time for an
official SIP Forum response to the occasional SPAM that hits our list.

One way to prevent these types of messages from getting distributed would be
to moderate all messages posted to the list. In fact, we have, on occasion,
performed this practice -- and certainly have the ability to enable
emergency list moderation when necessary with respect to future situations.

Unfortunately, a major issue with this practice is that it inevitably delays
the posting of approved content -- and in most cases creates a flurry of
sender emails to SIP Forum management inquiring about "lost posts".

This, alas, is one of the dilemmas to having an "open" mailing list.

As Paul surmises, yes, there is a way to ban subscribers who post SPAM to
the list. In fact, it should be noted that the sender of this SPAM message
did have his account deactivated, as have all other past abusers of the SIP
Forum mailing list.

Moreover, we will continue to actively monitor the messages sent over this
list and permanently ban senders who abuse the privilege.

My feeling is that the list can tolerate a small degree of SPAM, as long as
prompt action is taken to remove the offending senders, in exchange for the
immediate posting of approved content from approved senders.

Of course, if some of you feel strongly otherwise, please contact me
(OFF-LIST!!) at marc.robins at sipforum.org.

Best,

Marc

*************************