[SIPForum-discussion] RTP media flow: voice&video

Gunnar Hellstrom gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Thu Apr 24 19:32:24 UTC 2008

There is at least one more medium that make use of RTP. That is real-time
text for conversational purposes. Its RTP payload is defined in RFC 4103.
The data is Unicode UTF-8 coded text according to ITU-T T.140 transmitted
time-sampled in 300 ms samples.

It is intended to be included in multimedia calls, preferrably together with
video and audio, to form Total Conversation or Multimedia Telephony.

It is declared in sdp as text/t140 and text/red

Other data RTP packetisations are e.g. timed text, and I think also remote
device control is ready.

/Gunnar