[SIPForum-discussion] FW: Strange Problem with SIP UDP multi-socket tests

Igor Bezukh IgorB at Radware.com
Wed Apr 23 11:48:19 UTC 2008

Ok.

I have 2 PC's in the setup, connnected one to another via Cisco switch.

They have same hardware, same Linux kernel,installed from image.

I did all the possible TCP tunings in the /etc/sysctl.conf files.

I also increased the File-Descriptors limit like its was written in the
SIPP site.

SIP TCP works fine.

The scenario is as follows:

SIP UDP multi-socket , each call lentgh is 5 minutes. I am not sending
any voice, only SIP sessison.

The purpose of the test is to meausre performance concurrent metric - I
need to reach 200,000 concurrent open SIP UDP sessions.

Of course I won't reach that value with one pair of PC's.

I need to reach 50,000 concurrent SIP sessions, 5 minute length each one
of them.

Right now the number that I can reach is only 28,140 concurrent SIP UDP
open sockets.

I have some more information : I have one PC's with the same hardware
and OS where I can reach about 40,000 SIP UDP concurrent sessions.

I tried to compare between that PC and the others in  anything I can and
the only difference I noticed is : in that PC where I can open 40,000
sessions

The SIPp tool start to send INVITE from SOURCE UDP PORT number
6,000-7,000 while in the other PC's SIPp start to open sessions from
source

Port 40,000 or 50,000.

After I made a reboot to that PC's and run the test, it reach's only
28,140 open sockets.

This Is defently OS limit but it is also related to how does SIPp tool
decide from which source UDP port it starts to bind the UDP sessions.

Errno 98 means EADDRINUSE - this number return occurs when a process is
trying to bind itself to alraeady open socket.

I am running SIPp 3.0-TLS from the following Mandriva Linux  platform :

2 2.6.12-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 17:43:23 CEST 2005 i686 Intel(R)
Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz unknown GNU/Linux

Uac (192.168.1.1) : sipp -sn uac -t un -i 192.168.1.2
<http://192.168.1.2>  -r 50 -d 3000000 -nr -max_socket 50000
192.168.1.100:5060 <http://192.168.1.100:5060>

Uas  (192.168.1.100) : sipp -sn uas -i 192.168.1.100
<http://192.168.1.100>  -t un -max_socket 40000 -nr

Thanks.

Igor Bezukh.