[SIPForum-discussion] Post Dialing Delay (PDD)

Hadriel Kaplan HKaplan at acmepacket.com
Fri Apr 18 18:02:25 UTC 2008

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?  Which part of the "network" do you mean, and what type of "health"?
PDD isn't really useful for network health checks in my opinion, although some people use it for determining peer provider "quality", just as they use ASR.  It's a very coarse way of determining this, because obviously the PDD or ASR is unique per called destination and even time of day, not per next-domain, so it has to be carefully "averaged" over long periods of time with a large data set to make smart decisions about the relative quality among multiple peers.  Many SIP systems have that ability.
If you mean measuring the PDD for a specific UA endpoint from the provider, there are ways of doing that too - for example using PRACKs for the provisional response.
If you mean accurate measurement of end-end network layer health for media, RTP and RTCP quality measurements are often employed, and obviously SBC's have been measuring that for ages.

But anyway, if you feel something else is needed for SIP layer measurements that isn't specified in draft-ietf-pmol-sip-perf-metrics-00.txt, then I encourage you join the PMOL WG mailing list and email your comments there so that they can be discussed and included in the draft. (to join go to https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmol)

-hadriel