[SIPForum-discussion] Regarding DTMF!

Subashini Rajaraman suba_technical at yahoo.co.in
Mon Sep 10 12:28:54 UTC 2007

Hi All,

  DTMF information gets exchange after the media patch is connected. It is also called in-band signaling,
The media path can be connected either through early media connection or through 200-ACK.

Further if any of the endpoint presses any digit in DTMF mode, this information is conveyed over media path using RTP. RTP header will indicate DTMF payload and inside the payload, the DTMF event would be encoded using RFC 2833.

  I can able to pass call hold & call transfer digits at 96(configurable payload) with different coders except G.723 at 6.3kbps & G.723 at 5.3kbps in inband signalling(not sip info) with RFC2833.

  With G.723 at 6.3kbps I can able to pass call hold & call transfer digits at 100 or 101(configurable payload,not sip info with RFC2833).

  I cannot able to hear the onhold music in this coder.
  what it depends on & why G.723 is not supporting?

  ---
  Regards,
  Subashini R.