[SIPForum-discussion] 403-404 Response

Syed K snazir at TechMahindra.com
Fri Sep 7 14:47:37 UTC 2007

Balaji,

403 means "we understand who you are and you are not allowed to do
this".

      In the following cases 403 reponse will be sent

1) The To header field identifies the original recipient of the request
designated by the user identified in the From field. The original
recipient may or may not be the UAS processing the request, due to call
forwarding or other proxy operations. If the UAS decides to reject the
request, it SHOULD generate a response with a 403(Forbidden) status code
and pass it to the server transaction for transmission

2) As the Caller A can terminate the ringing call i.e., before it is
answered by sending Cancel, similarly callee B can terminate the ringing
call by sending 403 response.

3) UAC can locate credentials that are associated with the proper realm,
the potential exists that these credentials may no longer be valid or
that the challenging server will not accept these credentials for
whatever reason (especially when "anonymous" with no password is
submitted). In this instance a server may repeat its challenge, or it
may respond with a 403 Forbidden. A UAC MUST NOT re-attempt requests
with the credentials that have just been rejected

Thanks & Regards
  Syed Nazir

>Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:01:32 +0530
>From: "gurudatt balaji" <gurudattbalaji at gmail.com>
>Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] 403-404 Response
>To: "discussion at sipforum.org" <discussion at sipforum.org>
>
>Hi All,
>
>I have query in which call (failure) scenario do we get following
response
>(pls note not during the registration)
>
>-    403 Forbidden
>
>-    404 Not Found
>
>Wrt 404, one reason could be user calling..unregistered (in directory
>server
>for ex. HSS) user.
>
>Pls let me know other call scenarios, thanks in advance.
>
>Reg
>Balaji

Disclaimer: