[SIPForum-discussion] Parent Child registration vs Wildcardregistration

Chris Gatch Chris.Gatch at cbeyond.net
Tue Oct 30 10:16:50 UTC 2007

Greg,

I have not seen the wildcard example implemented, but I do know that the
first approach of using the parent/child is broadly implemented.  The
source of the concept is the original SIPconnect Interface Specification
that was produced before it went through the SIP Forum Technical Working
Group.  The explicit parent/child language was dropped in favor of a
more 'pure' approach.

However, we left language that implicitly allowed parent/child while not
encouraging it.

SIP Application Servers MUST be prepared to accept (but MUST NOT
require) registrations for any valid URI that the

Service Provider has assigned to an Enterprise. This interface
specification does not define any specific action that is

triggered by a successful registration; however one possible use of this
information might be to update a DNS entry

associated with the PBX in a DNS zone managed by the Service Provider.

In the case of Cbeyond, for example, we use the registration of the
parent user to update the registration information of all SIP users
associated with the account that was registered.   If you need more
information on the way we handle this, feel free to contact me directly,
and I can provide some more detail.

Chris