[SIPForum-discussion] Parent Child registration vs Wildcard registration

Zweig, Greg gzweig at sonusnet.com
Fri Oct 26 13:21:13 UTC 2007

All,

I was curious to get forum members' opinion on the two prevalent methods
of registering users that are behind a PBX.  Some carriers use a parent
child registration that creates a concept of an "alpha" subscriber while
others create a wild card so that subscribers within a group can more
easily be registered together.   I believe the latter was created by
Cisco

Using the parent child method, the PBX creates a binding between one of
its phone numbers as the address of record (AoR) and Contact-URI in the
REGISTER message. The registrar understands that a single AoR actually
represents many addresses, and so it registers them implicitly.

Using the wild card a "." in the address serves as the wild card - up to
32 digits-- so that a variety of users at the same address can be
implicitly registered

An example might look like Contact: <sip:12345..... at 15.3.33.29:5060>

I would appreciate any practical experience forum members have that
would provide advantages or disadvantages for the two methods.

Thanks,

Greg