[SIPForum-discussion] From field in SIP header

Nittin Dutt Nittin.Dutt at csr.com
Fri Nov 30 10:59:22 UTC 2007

I think you may be facing classic SIP-NAT issue. If you are behind a
NAT/Firewall and using the private IP address (192.168.x.x) then you
must be either using STUN in your SIP client or your SIP Server must
have SBC(Session border controller) functionality.

I think what's happening is that since you have initiated the SIP call
your firewall/NAT has a pin hole opened and you receive response because
of that. And that's too because you SIP proxy figure out that your
private address in Via is not routable so it sends it to source address
(where pin hole is opened). Since RTP flows directly between clients,
there is no way that remote (called party) can route the RTP to private
IP you published in your SDP. An SBC fixes all these issues for you. Try
VoipTalk Server, I think they have an SBC in place.

-Nittin Dutt