[SIPForum-discussion] please explain MUTE operation ??????????

V Belagodu vbelagodu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:18:39 UTC 2007

I am not an expert on this, but their is more to mute than just no rtp:

   - Network Mute
   - Phone Mute

Network Mute: you can mute the conversation in a conf call using set of
commands (*6 on my conf bridge)
Phone Mute: A mute button on the phone which turns of the mic or something.

Obviously in a phone mute, no sip msgs are sent out, however when muting the
media in the sip network, you would be sending an re-INVITE with recvonly in
your SDP something of this sorts.

I know for a fact that when A puts B on hold, a re-inv is sent from A with
sendonly as part of the SDP. I am assuming Mute is on the same lines as
putting a user on hold. With hold, you put somebody else on hold, with mute,
you mute your own conversation. So assuming instead of a sendonly, you
probably send a re-inv with recvonly. Hope this helps.

-Vilas