[SIPForum-discussion] DTMF

Srinivas . nsrinivas at TechMahindra.com
Wed May 23 09:33:05 UTC 2007

Richard,

Thanks for the clarification.

________________________________

From: Stastny Richard [mailto:Richard.Stastny at oefeg.at]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:50 PM
To: Srinivas .; praveen subbarao; Eric Burger
Cc: discussion
Subject: RE: [SIPForum-discussion] DTMF

To clarify:

>Case 1. PSTN user just picks the phone and dials the number, here the
dialed numbers will be passed in

>Request URI / To fields of INVITE.

>Request and To headers will be in the form of tel uri. (It may be in
the form of E.164 number format,
>depends on the number dialed).

Dialstrings should in future be passed in the Request URI in the format
according
to draft-rosen-iptel-dialstring-05.txt, e.g:

sip:123;phone-context=atlanta.example.com at homeprovider.com;user=dialstri
ng

The problem with the (local) format of the tel: URI is that it does not
allow * and #

the global format of the tel: URI may be used, but not for dialed
digits:
you cannot dial E.164 numbers.  tel:+12345678900

E.164 numbers may only be entered  by UA capable of entering a '+".

So a normal PSTN phone with a terminal
adapter can never enter an E.164 number direct.

ENUM can only be used by the UA if it capable of receiving
an E.164 number (with a '+') or has a local dialstring processing
(and has the capability to query ENUM)

Regards
Richard

________________________________

To avoid confusion let me put it as two different cases.

Case 1. PSTN user just picks the phone and dials the number, here the
dialed numbers will be passed in Request URI / To fields of INVITE.

            Request and To headers will be in the form of tel uri. (It
may be in the form of E.164 number format, depends on the number
dialed).

Case 2. Suppose the call is established and user hear some announcements
(IVR) to get some more info. In such cases (mid call dialing) the dialed
numbers are carried in RTP (payload type as DTMF).

Am I correct?