[SIPForum-discussion] [SIPForum-techwg] Request for Comments - Preliminary FeatureSetDocument

peter_blatherwick at mitel.com peter_blatherwick at mitel.com
Fri May 18 00:29:05 UTC 2007

Hi again John,

Agree on focusing on capabilities on the receiving end.  On the feature
initiating end (eg the endpoint that wants to initiate, say, transfer just
to pick on one), then I think we really do need to spell out how to do the
particular feature, as the initiator.

Peter

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell at siemens.com>
17.05.07 16:12

        To:     peter_blatherwick at mitel.com
        cc:     discussion at sipforum.org, larry schessel
<lschesse at gmail.com>, "Dutkiewicz, Marek" <marek.dutkiewicz at polycom.com>,
techwg at sipforum.org, techwg-bounces at sipforum.org, "Wesley. Hacker"
<wesley at broadsoft.com>
        Subject:        RE: [SIPForum-techwg] Request for Comments -
Preliminary FeatureSetDocument

Peter,

Yes, I think we are saying more or less the same thing here. But the
emphasis should be on capabilities rather than features, in the sense that
if a device has the ability to respond to a certain set of capabilities,
then this opens up a broad range of features that other devices can use
without the need for standardisation. We just need to make sure we mandate
sufficient capabilities to cover a reasonable set of popular features. In
addition, where there is more than one way of initiating a feature, we
need to recommend a way or ways that is/are compatible with those
capabilities we make mandatory to respond to.

John